Monday, January 18, 2016

Finlay and Rey-Rey Spirits

WWE SmackDown 2016/01/12

WWE United States Championship: Alberto del Rio vs. Kalisto ©

Oh look, it’s the guy FKA Samuray del Sol and also Octagon Jr., and it seems like he’s better than ever! I’ll be perfectly honest with you – the number of Kalisto (stupid name btw) I’ve seen in WWE is zero. Literally. So yeah, I’ve never seen a Kalisto match, no matter the setting, I don’t think I’ve ever even stumbled upon him in a promo or shit like that. He fell off my personal radar hard, really hard, all I know he forms a tag team of stupid name Lucha Dragons with Sin Cara II. And yes, he still shouts lucha, I bet that’s the main reason WWE even signed him, lel, gotta air those stupid kids doing the chant and flapping their hands. Man, I was totally oblivious of Kalisto’s WWE existence.

But boy, if this match is an indicator of something, it’s better push this guy hard. I mean, sure, he’ll never be the new Rey Mysterio Jr., because that ship has sailed long time ago, but he can be pretty fucking awesome eternal underdog who occasionally comes to the top. I’m sure he’d make insane amounts of that sweet Latino and brat cash with a rock solid push.

I had no idea who won this match, because I don’t give a shit about SmackDown, so it kinda surprised me Alberto walked into the match as CHALLENGER, and fuck, he lost the title to the very same guy he’s facing now – Kalisto, on Monday Night Raw just one night earlier. So hear me out then, that’s two major layers of what makes a base for a damn fine clash: 1) obvious size difference that goes along the power vs. speed story, and 2) big guy lost his title to the small guy and is very pissed.

Aaaand, that’s right all the ingredients are there, and luckily they played them off down to a T. Alberto was a relentless motherfucker on offense, angry prick out for revenge on the much smaller maskman who defeated him a night before, he did a tremendous job as heel aggressor, the way he was building towards the finish by tearing Kalisto’s arm apart was wonderful, and Kalisto sold it perfectly, I always love when wrestlers remind us they’re still in pain after adrenaline rush comeback spots. Seriously, Kalisto sold it sooo well! Alberto’s kicks looked rather painful, and it always works on smaller guys. The only flawed part in this doozy showcase of art was Alberto’s o’reillyish cross armbreaker, but let’s not go there pls. My favorite part of the match (other than crazy good finish) was that super smashing tornillo counter. Kalisto’s missed tope to the floor was on Dragon Lee levels of insane. And the best thing is – it led directly to the finish! Oh, how great!

Excellent TV match that totally should launch Kalisto onto better and bigger things push-wise, and I imagine if these two get 15 minutes on a supercard (I don’t call them “PPV” anymore) down the road, they could deliver a LEGIT legit MOTYC. Watch this match!

****1/2

1 comment: