Friday, August 22, 2014

G1 Is Over? GOOD. Now I Can Finally Watch Some DDT!


Road to Ryogoku 2014

(2014/7/20)


1.      MIKAMI & Tomomitsu Matsunaga vs. Yasu Urano & GENTARO

Clipped, and that’s a shame because it looked good, they actually did ballsy thing and ended the match with a beautiful 40 second long headlock sequence. I need more of that in my pro-graps.

N/A


2.      Akito vs. Isami Kodaka

Sort of unreal, a 10 minute match that blew my mind, shit was tight. I mean, I expected good things, and that’s based on Akito’s majestic title match with KUDO few months earlier, as well as Kodaka’s improving progression in the world of regular wrestling. I don’t know whether or not Akito has spent some time in Mexico learning from old maestros, and I’m not bothered to check it out, but he sure as hell works that way, his style is very lucha influenced, he’s got that grace and swag all over his moveset, not mention the perfect timing. He’s one of my favorite wrestlers, quite a discovery from 2014. This match was completely ground-based, with nifty limbwork and excellent pacing, oh yeah, this is a MUST-SEE.

****1/2


3.      Shuji Ishikawa, Daisuke Sasaki, Gota Ihashi vs. Sanshiro Takagi, Toru Owashi, Taiji Ishimori

Buckets of fun. First of all, Shuji and Owashi had an amazing sequence that deserved fucking world wide headlines. When I say “amazing”, I mean that in a totally different fashion, mind you, this is DDT, after all, the greatest federation on Earth. Ishimori looks like a great fit for DDT and I’d pay good money to see him against Daisuke and Shuji. Also, Gota Ihashi has finally stopped being bad, at least it appears that way.

***1/4


4.      Danshoku Dino, Makoto Oishi, Super Sasadango Machine, DJ Nira vs. Michael Nakazawa, Kazuki Hirata, Hoshitango, Shunma Katsumata

I’m not gonna pretend I understood the story behind the match, nor some of the hilarious gags. This was your vintage DDT comedy match impossible to rate.

N/A


5.      3-WAY for KO-D 6-Man Tag Team Championship: Team Drift (Shigehiro Irie, Keisuke Ishii, Soma Takao) vs. Shuten-doji (KUDO, Yukio Sakaguchi, Masa Takanashi) vs. Happy Motel (Antonio Honda, Konosuke Takeshita, Tetsuya Endo) ©

It’s been said many times before, this year especially, that NO ONE does better 3-ways than DDT. Everything HONDA touches turns into gold.

***1/2


6.      KO-D Openweight Championship: Kenny Omega vs. HARASHIMA ©

Great, great fucking match with an excellent double KO finish, if something like this happened in America, they would get crapped on, but thankfully the crowds of Japan are patient, respectful and understand the game. I’m such a sucker for slow-paced Junior matches, and this one was no exception. Funny, few days ago I stumbled upon a random blog where I saw few reviews that involved HARASHIMA, and the blogger described him as “Japanese Davey Richards”. Honestly, fuck humanity, I hope Icke’s lizards conquer us all.

****1/4


The show was cartloads of fun, as expected, you can’t go wrong with DDT in Korakuen.

No comments:

Post a Comment